The clubs on the south coast of our division have been busy! Robin Chawner of Arun, Solent and Spinnaker Speakers writes to a local newspaper in thanks:
On behalf of Toastmasters clubs in the News’s circulation area, I’m delighted to say how much we appreciate your editorial support in putting across the
community benefits that we strive to deliver to readers in the fields of communication and leadership skills via inspirational, humorous, impromptu and feedback speeches.
This message is triggered by the excellent three page spread in the News’s Family Life supplement dated 01 10 2013. Written by Rachel Jones, it featured the remarkable story of the challenges faced – and faced-down – by Iain Upton. The story style exquisitely portrayed the unique blend of the power, the passion and the poignancy of Iain’s journey to now and his maturing plans for his continued journey into the future.
The News has, through various reporters, helped many people, in your circulation grow in confidence, skills and resolve.
We have over the years, among others, to thank Jeff Travis, Chris Broom, Miles O’Leary, Kimberley Barber and Elise Brewerton for helping us to help others to help themselves.
To give you some idea of how the message is getting across and the clubs’ productivity, the following information may be of interest.
2013 marks the
- 25th anniversary,in October of the first meeting of (Chichester-based) Arun Speakers;
- 10th anniversary of the chartering of (Fareham-based) , Solent Speakers;
- 1st anniversary, in October, the of the founding of the newest club (Portsmouth/Southsea-based) Spinnaker Speakers.
Between these three not for profit, voluntarily-run, membership funded clubs, which hold their meetings fortnightly:
- almost 1,000 members and guests have been welcomed and successfully become accomplished speakers and leaders;
- in partnership with the Highbury College’s Prince’s Trust TEAM programme helped 200 plus young people to ‘find their feet and value their voice’;
- helped more than 20 local charities raise their profile and thereby raise vital funds;
- led more than 500 members to gain communications and leadership qualifications accredited by our world-wide parent, Toastmasters International;
- coached people from all walks of life, aged 18-70 and of more than 25 nationalities;
- fielded entrants for and 2 outright winners of the All UK & Ireland District’s semi-annual speech contests.
As an aside statistic, we estimate that over 7,500 speeches have been delivered and evaluated; with many thousands of laughs into the bargain.
We look forward to continue to supply your team with further news stories of interest.